Enjoy Intimacy Without Discomfort – Try These Sex Positions for if You Have Neck Pain
Neck pain can make every aspect of life, including intimacy with a partner, debilitating. However, there are many sex positions that individuals with neck pain can try to reduce the risk of further pain or injury. In this article, we’ll explore the top 10 best sex positions for individuals with neck pain, based on expert recommendations and medical research from Dr. Carl Spivak MD, neurosurgeon and neck pain specialist in New Jersey.
Firstly, it’s important to note that communication with your partner is key. Discussing your neck pain and how it affects your sexual experience can help you both find positions that work for you. Secondly, it’s essential to warm up and stretch your neck muscles before engaging in any sexual activity to avoid further injury.
Top 10 Sex Positions for Neck Pain
- Spooning: Lie on your side with your partner behind you, holding you close. This position allows for minimal movement, reducing strain on the neck muscles, and is ideal for those with neck pain.
- Missionary with a Twist: In this position, the giving partner lies on their back, and the receiving partner lies on top with their hips elevated by a pillow. This modification allows for better alignment of the hips and reduces the strain on the neck muscles.
- Reverse Cowgirl: In this position, the receiving partner faces the opposite direction, with their back facing the giving partner. This modification reduces the need to bend the neck and also allows for easy access to the clitoris or penis.
- Seated Position: Instead of sitting on a chair, sit on a yoga ball or exercise ball. This modification provides more support for the spine, reducing the strain on the neck muscles.
- Doggy Style: The doggy style position involves the giving partner on all fours, and the receiving partner on their knees behind them. This position is great for individuals with neck pain because it reduces strain on the neck muscles.
- Cowgirl: In this position, the receiving partner straddles the giving partner. This position allows for control by the receiving partner and reduces strain on the neck muscles.
- Lotus Position: The lotus position involves sitting cross-legged and facing each other. This position is great for individuals with neck pain because it allows for minimal movement and puts less pressure on the neck muscles.
- The Plow: Lie on your back with your legs up in the air, and the giving partner penetrates. To reduce strain on the neck muscles, you can modify this position by placing a pillow under the hips.
- Side-by-Side: The side-by-side position involves lying on your side facing each other. This position allows for minimal movement and reduces strain on the neck muscles.
- Standing Position: The standing position involves the giving partner standing while the receiving partner is supported against a wall or other stable surface. This position reduces strain on the neck muscles and allows for easy movement.
In conclusion, if you have neck pain, you can still enjoy a fulfilling and pleasurable sex life by trying different sex positions that reduce strain on the neck muscles. Remember to communicate with your partner, warm up and stretch your neck muscles, and try out different positions to find what works best for you. Always listen to your body and take breaks when necessary to avoid further injury.
- Healthline. (2022). Sex positions to try for people with neck pain. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/neck-pain-sex-positions
- Medical News Today. (2022). Best sex positions for people with neck pain. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/best-sex-positions-for-people-with-neck-pain
- Harvard Health Publishing. (2022). How to manage neck pain. Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/how-to-manage-neck-pain